Simple, Cheap, Functional Homemade Laundry Detergent
Ingredients (all available at Metcalfe’s Wauwatosa, as of 3/27/2022):
- 1/3 bar Fels Naptha soap (or 1 bar Ivory)
- 1/2 c. Washing Soda
- 1/2 c. Borax
- Cooking pot or pan (2 quart capacity at least)
- Clean bucket (2 gallon capacity at least)
- Container(s) for 2 gallons liquid laundry soap (eg used, empty store-bought ones)
- Home-made funnel to get laundry soap into containers (eg plastic gallon milk jug with bottom cut off)
Grate soap & put in a pan. Add 6 cups water and heat until soap melts. Add soda and Borax and stir until dissolved. Remove from heat. Pour 4 cups hot water in a bucket. Add soap mixture and stir. Now add 1 gallon plus 6 cups water and stir. Let set about 24 hours to gel. Break up gel with clean hands. Use funnel to pour into container(s).
Use 1/2 cup per load. Low suds, works in front-load (or “HE”) washers.
From Crystal Miller, thefamilyhomestead.com